$1.75 Million Failure to Timely Diagnose Bladder Cancer Lead to Death

The Decedent saw one of the Defendants for complaints which included burning on urination as well as nocturia (frequent urination at night). The symptoms lasted for five days. This Defendant performed a dipstick, which indicated that there was blood in the urine. The Decedent was given antibiotic medication, which had no effect on her symptoms.  She returned to this Defendant a few days later, reporting that the medication was not helping with the symptoms. In fact, the patient indicated that she was still suffering with burning on urination, nocturia, and feeling pressure in the bladder. This Defendant performed another dipstick, which showed a large amount of blood in the urine despite the use of antibiotics.

The Defendant then diagnosed the patient with a urinary tract infection. This Defendant obtained a culture and began a prescription for a different antibiotic. No follow up planning was arranged and no follow up with the patient was given despite the fact that she had presented twice previously with blood in her urine.

Subsequent to that time, the patient was later seen by another Defendant physician, who took a urine sample which was reported back as having a significant amount of blood. This Defendant failed to refer the patient to a specialist, and failed to institute any treatment whatsoever.

Ultimately, the following year, the Decedent developed flank pain, nausea and vomiting. She was finally referred to a urologist who ordered appropriate tests and studies, which quickly revealed the presence of bladder cancer that had not been diagnosed or treated previously by the Defendants.

Due to the extensive delay in diagnosis and treatment, the patient’s bladder cancer had progressed and metastasized, causing her to face a terminal prognosis. Thereafter, the patient subsequently died due to the metastatic effects of her cancer. Had the bladder cancer been timely diagnosed and treated sooner, the Plaintiffs’ Decedent would have been treated in the earlier stage of her disease and would not have died. Instead, she died, leaving a husband and two young children.