James D. Cardea received his undergraduate degree from Western Maryland College and graduated cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law, where he received American Jurisprudence Awards in Legal Analysis, Research and Writing (1992) and Domestic Relations (1994). He was also a Staff Editor for the University of Baltimore Law Review from 1994-1995 and was awarded membership to the Heuisler Honor Society.
“My goal is to provide our clients with the finest legal representation. I believe that positive results are obtained through a combination of hard work, dedication, knowledge and enthusiasm. I strive to apply these principles to every case that I handle.”
Mr. Cardea has been selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America™ since 2011. Mr. Cardea has also been recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Maryland™ by The American Trial Lawyers Association and a Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in the State of Maryland by the American Society of Legal Advocates. Since 2018, Mr. Cardea has been included as one of the 10 Best Attorneys for Maryland by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys. Mr. Cardea has been selected by his peers for inclusion in Maryland Super Lawyers Magazine™ since 2010 where he has been recognized as one of the Top 100 attorneys in Maryland since 2012. Mr. Cardea has also received an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell™, a testament to the fact that his peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence. Mr. Cardea has also received the prestigious Top 10 Attorney Award for the State of Maryland from the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Inc. He has also been recognized by the American Biographical Institute as the Man of the Year for Outstanding Contributions to Law.
Outside the Courtroom, Mr. Cardea is known as a quiet, courteous gentleman. But managing partner Jonathan Schochor is known for saying that once engaged in a trial or negotiation, Mr. Cardea is a tenacious, aggressive and extremely effective advocate for his clients. Indeed, Mr. Cardea has successfully served as lead trial counsel in dozens of medical malpractice cases before juries throughout the state of Maryland and the District of Columbia. Mr. Cardea’s effective trial skills have resulted in numerous six and seven figure jury verdicts which have been featured in The Baltimore Sun and The Maryland Daily Record, among other publications. According to topverdict.com, Mr. Cardea’s $1.75 million verdict in a Baltimore County jury trial was one of the top 100 medical malpractice verdicts in the country in 2019.
Each September, in honor of his father, Mr. Cardea sponsors the Dr. Don Cardea Golf Tournament benefiting the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. An avid sports fan, he has coached various youth sports. Mr. Cardea lives with his wife and three daughters in Fulton, Maryland.
Appointments & Awards
- Recently included in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® for Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- Martindale-Hubbell™ – AV Rating
- Best Lawyers in America™ (2011-Present)
- Maryland Super Lawyers™ (2010-Present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (2011-Present)
- Litigation Counsel of America (2012-Present)
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel, Nation’s “Top One Percent”
- Rue Ratings’ Best Attorneys of America (2015-Present)
- American Society of Legal Advocates, Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in Maryland
- The American Trial Lawyers Association™, Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Maryland
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers™
- Maryland Super Lawyers™, Top 100 Super Lawyers for Maryland
- America’s Most Honored Professionals Top 5 Percent™
- The American Biographical Association Man of the Year in Law™
- Who’s Who in American Law™
- Global Directory of Who’s Who™
- Heuisler Honor Society, University of Baltimore
- American Jurisprudence Award in Domestic Relations
- American Jurisprudence Award in Legal Analysis, Research & Writing
- National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys, Inc.
- Top 10 Attorney for the State of Maryland
- Lawyers of Distinction
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum