In many cases, patients may not know that they have been injured by the negligence of a physician, surgeon or other health care provider.
While doctors cannot and do not guarantee good outcomes in all cases–and some bad outcomes are normal complications–others can result from mistakes that amount to medical malpractice.
Patients tend to trust their doctors and think that they know best–if the doctors say nothing is wrong, they believe them. Unfortunately, sometimes doctors are wrong and make mistakes.
RED FLAGS. There are certain warning signs that can signal potential medical malpractice. Serious complications should raise suspicion, including:
- Long hospital stays resulting from “short stay” procedures
- Second and third operations
- Unanticipated procedures
- Bad reactions to drugs or medicines
- Life-threatening infections
- Sudden serious illness after a patient has been given a clean bill of health
- Misread or misinterpreted MRIs, CT scans, mammograms and ultrasounds
- Test result mix-ups
KINDS OF INJURIES. Here are some major injuries that may be the result of medical malpractice:
- Shoulder dystocia
- Cerebral Palsy and Erb’s Palsy
- Surgical errors, such as missed bowel perforations
- Injuries to nearby organs during laparoscopic operations
- Bariatric surgery complications
- Misdiagnosis or non-diagnosis of a heart attack
- Missed or late diagnosis of cancer
- Emergency room errors
- Medication errors and overdoses
WHAT TO DO. If you suspect you may be the victim of medical malpractice, it’s important that you consult an attorney or law firm that has demonstrated experience handling these kinds of complicated cases.
For over 30 years, the law firm of Schochor and Staton, P.A. has represented patients in some of the largest medical malpractice cases in the region. We are also one of the most honored medical law firms in the Baltimore/D.C. area.
But what we’re most proud of is the impact we have made for our clients. The work we do eases the burden on victims of medical negligence, helps them restore their quality of life, and allows them to move on with their lives.
Download a copy of Schochor and Staton, P.A.’s medical malpractice checklist by clicking here.