Hiring the right medical malpractice attorney to represent you when you or a member of your family has been seriously injured or died because of an avoidable medical mistake is critical to protecting your rights and getting the resources you need to recover from a case of malpractice.
In making this decision, it’s important you talk with lawyers to get a better sense of their qualifications and experience, as well as an idea of what it would be like if they were to handle your case.
Here’s a checklist of basic questions to ask before you hire a medical malpractice attorney:
- How long has the attorney been practicing?
- Does he or she have experience handling medical malpractice cases?
- Does the attorney specialize only in medical malpractice cases, or does he or she also do work in other areas of the law?
- Has he or she been rated by other attorneys through peer reviews like Best Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, or Super Lawyers?
- What was the result of the most recent case he or she worked on?
- Has the attorney or firm ever taken a case to trial? If so, what was the outcome?
- Has the attorney and his or her law firm won sizable awards for their clients?
- How many other people work at the law firm?
- Does the lawyer have access to expert witnesses and medical investigators?
- Will the attorney and their firm handle your case themselves or will they refer the case to another law firm?
- Do other law firms ever refer medical malpractice cases to this attorney and law firm?
- Will you be interacting with other lawyers, paralegals or staff at the firm?
- How will you charge me for services?
- If you win my case, what percentage of the award do you take?
The answers you get to these questions should give you a good idea if the attorney you’re talking to is the one you should hire to solve your legal problem.
Schochor and Staton, P.A. is Here to Help
For over 30 years, the law firm of Schochor and Staton, P.A. has represented patients in some of the largest medical malpractice cases in the region. We are also one of the most honored medical law firms in the Baltimore/D.C. area.
But what we’re most proud of is the impact we have made for our clients. The work we do eases the burden on victims of medical negligence, helps them restore their quality of life, and allows them to move on with their lives.
One of the reasons Schochor and Staton, P.A.’s attorneys appear on WCBM’s 1-800-LAW-CALL every Monday night is to give listeners an opportunity to get to know us as we explain complex cases and legal issues, so you can form your own opinion about our knowledge and experience.
If you believe you or a loved one is a victim of medical malpractice, contact us today at 410-989-7097 for a free consultation. You pay nothing unless we make a recovery on your behalf.