Philip Federico is a founding and senior partner with Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. He currently manages the Mass Tort/Environmental Law section of the firm, transitioning into this practice area after beginning his career as a medical malpractice litigator.
Mr. Federico has been involved in historic and groundbreaking litigation with verdicts and settlements totaling hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2010, he served as co-lead counsel in the litigation against pedophile pediatrician Earl Bradley, which resulted in a $123 million settlement. In 2016, he served as counsel in a $190 million class action settlement with The Johns Hopkins Hospital arising out of the conduct of Nikita Levy, M.D., an obstetrician gynecologist who surreptitiously videotaped his patients during gynecologic examinations.
In 2017, Mr. Federico along with Partner Brent Ceryes formed a consortium of attorneys and law firms to take on the opioid industry, today representing more than 40 cities and counties. This includes more Florida public entities than any other group, and the second largest number of South Carolina public entities.
In recent years, Mr. Federico and his colleagues have been focusing on environmental cases involving contaminated groundwater and air pollution. In 2017, Mr. Federico became co-lead counsel in a landmark environmental case against chicken processing giant Mountaire. For close to two decades, the company had violated its permits by disposing of wastewater containing excessive nitrates, causing health problems and property damage for the community of Millsboro, Delaware. Mr. Federico led the negotiation with Mountaire and achieved a settlement in November 2020, valued at $205 million. Mr. Federico is also involved in litigation involving Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) and perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), which are chemicals that have been linked to cancer.
In addition to environmental cases, Mr. Federico also has extensive experience in personal injury, sexual abuse and misconduct, and healthcare. He is leading a consortium of attorneys and law firms in the JUUL litigation, which is based on JUUL’s alleged intentional and deceptive marketing of its vaping device to teenagers and young adults. Mr. Federico and SFS represent more than three dozen school boards from across the country in their fight for justice. He is also representing plaintiffs in the StarPower class action lawsuit that involves the alleged surreptitious photographing and recording of a group of 400 competitive dancers, mostly minors, in various stages of undress in their changing area. Additionally, he is leading a class action involving 3,700 patients who were allegedly wrongfully exposed to HIV and hepatitis at a surgical center in New Jersey as a result of the doctors and staff failing to follow appropriate sterilization protocols and infection protection guidelines.
Mr. Federico is active in his community and sits on boards of many local charities and foundations. He lives in Baltimore with his wife of 39 years, Diane, and has a son, Torin, daughter-in-law Stephanie, and granddaughter, Isabelle. When he is not practicing law or spending time with his family, Mr. Federico enjoys golf, fishing, hunting, surfing, and traveling.
- The Boys’ Latin School of Maryland Alumni Board, 1988 – 1994
- Associated Italian American Charities Board of Trustees, 1993 – Present
- The Boys’ Latin School of Maryland, Board of Trustees, (President, 2006 – 2008), Trustee Emeritus, 1995 – Present
- The Living Classrooms Foundation Board of Trustees, 2007 – Present
Appointments & Awards
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- The Outstanding Lawyers of America
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- The Verdict Club – Premier Trial Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbel AV Rating (highest rating for litigation skills and ethics), 1998 – Present
- Associated Italian American Charities’ “Bud Ecalono Award”
- The National Registry of Who’s Who
- National Verdict Reporter Top 100 Verdicts $39 million verdict (Alston v. Warble)
- The American Trial Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- Top Lawyers in Maryland, Baltimore Business Journal and Best Lawyers
- Maryland Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland
- The Best Lawyers in America
- The Best Lawyers in America – Washington, D.C. & Baltimore’s Best Lawyers, 2010 – Present
- America’s Most Honored Professionals Top 5%
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- The American Society of Legal Advocates Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in the State of Maryland
- “Lawyer of the Year,” Medical Malpractice in Maryland, Best Lawyers
- Verdicts Hall of Fame Top Five Verdicts in the Wrongful Death Category, Daily Business Review & Verdict Search
- Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law
- Lawyers of Distinction
- Member of the Delaware Department of Justice Environmental Counsel Panel
- The Daily Record Influential Marylanders honoree